Mayor Bowser established the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) to conduct aggressive outreach and engagement to identify energetic community and business professionals to fill critical appointed roles in District government. This included members of the Mayor’s Cabinet, Agency Directors, and special staff positions as excepted service appointees. Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. Please note, Excepted and Executive Service are different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. For all Career and Management Service positions, please visit the Department of Human Resources (DCHR) careers opportunities website.
Excepted and Executive Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave. Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Below are Excepted Service positions currently being recruited by MOTA:
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
Senior Management/Policy Positions
- Associate General Counsel – Office of General Counsel:
- Grants Management Specialist – Serve DC:
- Staff Attorney -- Mayor’s Office of Legal Counsel (MOLC):
Speciality Positions and Independent Agencies
- Executive Director - Judicial Nominations Commission
- Chairperson – Real Property Tax Appeals Commission (RPTAC):
- Commission, District of Columbia Public Service Commission (PSC) -
- General Counsel, Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) -
- Member – Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA):
- Member – Public Employee Relations Board (PERB):
MOTA always seeks talented individuals. While there might not be a current excepted service position of interest, please click this link to be added to our talent pool.