Mayor Bowser established the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) to conduct aggressive outreach and engagement to identify energetic community and business professionals to fill critical appointed roles in District government. This included members of the Mayor’s Cabinet, Agency Directors, and special staff positions as excepted service appointees. Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. Please note, Excepted and Executive Service are different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. For all Career and Management Service positions, please visit the Department of Human Resources (DCHR) careers opportunities website.
Excepted and Executive Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave. Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Below are Excepted Service positions currently being recruited by MOTA:
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
- Executive Director, Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH)
- Director, Mayor’s Office of Community Relations and Services (MOCRS)
- Deputy Mayor for Education (DME):
- Chancellor, District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS):
- Chief Technology Officer
Senior Management/Policy Positions
- Deputy Director, Mayor’s Office on African Affairs (MOAA)
- Chief Operating Officer – Department of General Services
- Deputy Director, District Department of Transportation
- Senior Deputy Director - Health Emergency Response Preparedness Administration (HEPRA)
Policy and Program Specialist
Speciality Positions and Independent Agencies
- Community Outreach Specialist, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s Affairs (MORCA)
- Development Finance Division Manager, Department of Housing and Community Development
- Commissioner: Public Service Commission
- Poet Laureate of the District of Columbia
MOTA always seeks talented individuals. While there might not be a current excepted service position of interest, please click this link to be added to our talent pool.