Mayor Bowser established the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments (MOTA) to conduct aggressive outreach and engagement to identify energetic community and business professionals to fill critical appointed roles in District government. This included members of the Mayor’s Cabinet, Agency Directors, and special staff positions as excepted service appointees. Excepted Service is a distinct type of employment within District Government. Please note, Excepted and Executive Service are different from Career Service and Management Supervisory Service positions. For all Career and Management Service positions, please visit the Department of Human Resources (DCHR) careers opportunities website.
Excepted and Executive Service employees serve in an “at-will” capacity, are eligible for the District of Columbia Government’s employee benefits programs, and can earn and accrue leave. Those serving in Excepted Service positions serve at the pleasure of the Mayor (or the appointing authority) and are subject to the domicile requirement. Under the domicile requirement, Excepted Service appointees must either be a District resident at the time of their appointment or become a District resident within 180 days of their appointment date (start date).
Below are Excepted Service positions currently being recruited by MOTA:
Mayor Bowser’s Resume Raiser
Executive Service/Cabinet Positions
- Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Director, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen Affairs (MORCA):
- Director, Mayor’s Office on African Affairs (MOAA):
Senior Management/Policy Positions
- Assistant Medical Director, Fire and EMS Department (FEMS):
- Chief of Staff, Deputy Mayor for Education:
- Peer Support Specialist, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s A Affairs (MORCA):
- Policy Analyst - Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education
- ReEntry Case Management Coordinator, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s Affairs (MORCA):
- ReEntry Case Manager, Mayor’s Office on Returning Citizen’s Affairs (MORCA):
Speciality Positions and Independent Agencies
MOTA always seeks talented individuals. While there might not be a current excepted service position of interest, please click this link to be added to our talent pool.